*[Enwl] World Water Week 2014 Energy and Water: Water efficiency must be the guiding star in fight to eradicate hunger and poverty

ENWL.Bellona enwl.bellona на gmail.com
Вс Сен 7 01:00:48 MSD 2014

worldwaterweek.org/pressroom

View this email in your browser

http://www.worldwaterweek.org/media-facts/

World Water Week: Water efficiency must be the guiding star in fight to
eradicate hunger and poverty

Stockholm (2014-09-05) – The 2014 World Water Week, focusing on energy and
water, closed today with participants jointly emphasising the importance of
a water goal, as well as intimate integration of energy and water in the
Post-2015 Development Agenda. The Week also concluded that water efficiency
is one of the main tools in combatting poverty and hunger.

A few obstacles overshadow all others in the fight to end poverty. One is
the silo mentality. Sectors must break barriers between them and use
synergies to their full potential. This message was underlined by  Stockholm
Statement on Water , released throughout the Week as a series of films and
papers. Another is the gross inefficiencies in water use.

“To counter the challenge of booming water demand we must manage it in a far
smarter way. It concerns our lives and our livelihoods. In five years I want
us all in our daily lives to be as aware of water efficiency as we are of
energy efficiency today,” Mr. Torgny Holmgren, Executive Director of
Stockholm International Water Institute, told the closing session.

World Water Week started with a  call from some of the world’s leading
water, environment and resilience scientists and experts, who said that
better management of rain, is the only way hunger and poverty can be
eradicated. Without improved rainwater management, the future development
goals currently being discussed are unrealistic, said the scientists, who
include Professor Malin Falkenmark of Stockholm International Water
Institute/Stockholm Resilience Centre and Professor Johan Rockström of
Stockholm Resilience Centre.

During the Week, which broke all earlier attendance records with over 3,000
participants from more than 140 countries, water efficiency and ways to
achieve it was highlighted in several sessions and discussions. Mr. Neil
Macleod of eThekwini Water and Sanitation in South Africa, spoke of the
necessity to invent a toilet that does not need water. “The flushing toilet
belongs in the history books, in the museums,” said Mr. Macleod, stating
that a non-flush toilet would cut a household’s water use by 30 per cent and
allow us to extract both fuel and fertiliser that today literally is flushed
down the drain. The head of the International Energy Agency (IEA), Ms. Maria
van der Hoeven, spoke of the need to grow biofuels in areas that rely on
rain rather than irrigation, something that would also lessen dependency on
power to draw water.

“We must go from ideas to action, from goals to implementation. If we assume
there will be a Sustainable Development Goal on water, we must now look at
how it can be integrated with other goals and at concrete measures for
implementation,” said Mr. Torgny Holmgren.

To feed into the soon-to-start UN member state negotiations on the Post-2015
Development Agenda, SIWI released the Stockholm Statement on Water, made up
of five thematic arguments why water must not be forgotten when debating and
negotiating the Sustainable Development Goals for future resilient
societies; water for health, water for sustainable growth, water for
agriculture, water for energy and water for climate.

“Nothing is set until the final decision in 2015. We need to keep up the
pressure,” said Ms. Karin Lexén, SIWI Director of World Water Week, Prizes
and International Processes.

The need for holistically approaching energy and water issues was reiterated
by the IEA’s Ms. van der Hoeven, who said that “The water-energy nexus if
firmly on the agenda of IEA. And so is development. We know that 1.2 billion
people in the world lack electricity, mainly in sub-Saharan Africa. We
therefore applaud next year’s World Water Week theme, water and
 development.”

Ms. Amina Mohammed, the UN Secretary-General’s Special Advisor on Post-2015
Development Planning, concluded that “Next year is a momentous year, it is a
year of transformation. We are moving from a poverty agenda to a sustainable
development agenda. That is no mean feat. We need leadership that is
courageous, and I hope we can use the energy from this Week as a baton for
the work we have ahead of us.”

Prizes
During the Week, several prizes were awarded for excellence in water-related
issues. The Stockholm Industry Water Award was awarded to eThekwini Water
and Sanitation, serving the Durban metropolitan area, for its transformative
and inclusive approach to providing water and sanitation. Hayley Todesco
from Canada received the 2014 Stockholm Junior Water Prize today for
inventing a method that uses sand filters to treat contaminated water and
recover water for reuse. And finally, the prestigious Stockholm Water Prize
was awarded to Professor John Briscoe of South Africa, for his unparalleled
contributions to global and local water management, inspired by an
unwavering commitment to improving the lives of people on the ground.

About Stockholm International Water Institute
Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI) is a policy institute that
generates knowledge and informs decision-makers towards water wise policy
and sustainable development. SIWI performs research, builds institutional
capacity and provides advisory services in five thematic areas: water
governance, transboundary water management, water and climate change, the
water-energy-food nexus, and water economics. SIWI organises World Water
Week in Stockholm – the leading annual meeting place for water and
development issues – and hosts the Stockholm Water Prize, the Stockholm
Junior Water Prize and the Stockholm Industry Water Award.

Press contact
Britt-Louise Andersson, Communications Director, SIWI.
+46 8 121 360 30 ,  britt-louise.andersson на siwi.org

Note to Editors:
*  Information about the World Water Week and the Stockholm International
Water Institute;  www.worldwaterweek.org and  www.siwi.org
*  Press kit, events, press releases and interview requests:
www.worldwaterweek.org/pressroom
*  Information about the 2014 Stockholm Statement on Water:
www.siwi.org/stockholmstatement2014
*  Photos and video:  http://www.siwi.org/mediahub
*  Twitter: Follow  @siwi_media for press updates  #wwweek and  @www_team
for participant debates
*  Essential background reading: SIWI’s report  “Energy and Water: The Vital
Link for a Sustainable Future”, feeding into the discussions at World Water
Week.
Twitter
Facebook
Website
Media Hub
LinkedIn
Latest press releases, launches and events in the Online Press Room
Keep up to date with all releases, launches and press events taking place at
2014 World Water Week in our  Online Press Room . You can also browse
live-stream broadcasts, speeches, photos and B-rolls as well as lists of t
he VIPs, dignitaries and experts in attendance. Our press team are happy to
help facilitate interviews to secure your stories.
Copyright © 2014 Stockholm International Water Institute, SIWI, All rights
reserved.
You have subscribed to receiving information from Stockholm International
Water Institute (SIWI)

Our mailing address is:
Stockholm International Water Institute, SIWI
Box 101 87
Visiting address: Linnégatan 87A Stockholm SE-100 55
Sweden
Add us to your address book unsubscribe from this list   update subscription
preferences

the guiding star in fight to eradicate hunger and poverty