*[Enwl] [press-release] Eight more Greenpeace International activists detained in Russia following Arctic oil protest

ENWL.Bellona enwl.bellona на gmail.com
Вс Сен 29 23:55:12 MSD 2013

*Amsterdam, 29 September 2013 -* A further eight Greenpeace International
activists have been detained for two months in Russia pending an
investigation into possible charges of piracy. The eight will join 22
others, including a freelance videographer and freelance photographer,
detained on Thursday following a peaceful protest against Arctic oil
drilling. Greenpeace International pledged to appeal all 30 detentions.

The 30 have already been held by the Russian authorities for 10 days since
the Greenpeace ship *Arctic Sunrise* was illegally boarded in international
waters on Thursday, September 19th.

The activists detained today are from Brazil, Finland, the Netherlands,
Sweden, the UK, and the Ukraine (1).  They will join the other 22 being
detained at five locations in and around Murmansk. None of the activists
pose a flight risk and Greenpeace strongly condemned the decision to refuse
them bail.

Activist Sini Saarela from Finland spoke out against her detention from
inside a cage used to hold defendants in the Murmansk court. She said:

“I'm an honest person and always ready to be responsible for what I have
done. I am not a pirate. Drilling for oil in ice is a tremendous threat to
the environment in Russia and across the Arctic.”

Responding to today’s news, Greenpeace International Executive Director
Kumi Naidoo said:

“There is absolutely no justification for any charge of piracy, or the
decision to deny bail. Our peaceful activists and the two freelancers are
being locked away for bringing international scrutiny to Gazprom’s risky
Arctic drilling programme. This is a naked attempt to intimidate anyone who
opposes the Arctic oil rush and it will not stand.

“Our ship was boarded in breach of international law, and these detentions
are similarly invalid. Over half a million people have now sent letters to
Russian embassies and the solidarity is building with each passing hour. We
will not stop until the Arctic 30 are freed and can return home to be with
their families.”

Over 640,000 people have written to Russian embassies around the world
since the ship was seized ten days ago. Others calling for the release of
the Arctic 30 include Nobel peace prize winner Adolfo Pérez Esquivel,
Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch and the actor Ewan McGregor.

On Saturday, the Russian Investigative Committee inspected the *Arctic
Sunrise* with sniffer dogs and what it termed ‘data experts’. Greenpeace
International captain Peter Willcox, while still under detention, was
present with them during the inspection.

Commenting on the inspection, Naidoo continued:

“We are confident that the authorities found the ship in excellent order,
containing the equipment you might find on any Greenpeace vessel for use in
a peaceful protest. It's interesting that they waited for several days to
search the ship and we must hope that they have not interfered with it in
the meantime.”

*Notes to editors:*

(1) The eight activists who were held today were Sini Saarela (Finland),
Dima Litvinov (Swedish / US dual citizenship), Ana Paula Alminhana Maciel
(Brazil), Mannes Ubels (Netherlands), Faiza Oulahsen (Netherlands), Anthony
Perrett (UK), Frank Hewetson (UK) and a Ukrainian activist whose name is
being withheld on request.

ENDS

*Contact:*

Greenpeace International press desk: +31 207 18 24 70 or
pressdesk.int на greenpeace.org

Greenpeace International picture desk: +31 207 18 24 71

Greenpeace International video desk: +31 207 18 24 72

*Photo:*

http://photo.greenpeace.org/C.aspx?VP3=ViewBox&STID=27MZIFV1XNFX&CT=Story

http://photo.greenpeace.org/C.aspx?VP3=ViewBox_VPage&ALID=27MZIFV4HRSX&CT=Album<http://photo.greenpeace.org/C.aspx?VP3=ViewBox_VPage&ALID=2>

*Video:*

News edit with most recent material:

http://photo.greenpeace.org/C.aspx?VP3=ViewBox&STID=27MZIFV1XJTU&CT=Story

ftp.greenpeacemedia.net

Username: dvout

Password: 3e4r5t

(1309_Prirzalomnaya_embassy_protests)

(1309_Prirzalomnaya_Gazprom and 1309_Arctic_Sunrise_Murmansk)
Regards,

Dannielle Taaffe

@greenpeacepress <https://twitter.com/greenpeacepress>
Skype: dannielletaaffe
Mobile: +31 (0) 634 738790
PressDesk: +31 (0)20 718 24 70 / pressdesk.int на greenpeace.org
PictureDesk: +31 (0) 20718 2471
VideoDesk: +31 (0) 20718 2472
http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/press/

"A man may take to drink because he feels himself to be a failure, and then
fail all the more completely because he drinks. It is rather the same thing
that is happening to the English language. It becomes ugly and inaccurate
because our thoughts are foolish, but the slovenliness of our language
makes it easier for us to have foolish thoughts." - George Orwell

Greenpeace is an independent global campaigning organisation that acts to
change attitudes and behavior, to protect and conserve the environment and
to promote peace.

It comprises 28 independent national/regional offices in over 40 countries
across Europe, the Americas, Asia, Africa and the Pacific, as well as a
co-ordinating body, Greenpeace International.

detained in Russia following Arctic oil protest