*[Enwl-eng] The last ocean

ENWL.Bellona enwl.bellona at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 02:30:42 MSD 2016

Avaaz.org - The World in Action

                        There is one almost completely untouched ocean on our planet - where penguins, whales and mysterious squid roam freely. This pristine paradise could now be lost to industrial fishing fleets, or become the world’s largest marine reserve! Just one last country is needed, and we have an incredible inside chance to influence them. Click to find out more and join the urgent call:

                              Sign the petition!

                  Dear friends,

                  There is one almost completely untouched body of water on our planet -- a magical place where majestic blue whales, penguins, and mysterious squid roam free.

                  But this paradise -- the size of Germany, France and the UK combined -- could soon be lost. Hunters have already massacred thousands of endangered whales in Antarctica’s Ross Sea, now massive industrial fishing fleets want to devastate the area.

                  But if 24 countries agree, this pristine ocean can become the world’s biggest marine protected area. 23 are finally on board, 1 isn’t -- yet.

                  Russia.

                  Amazingly, we have a huge insider chance to persuade it to join, right now. Oceans experts have a private event lined up with President Putin’s top advisors and they’ll deliver our petition directly! Add your name:

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/protect_the_ross_sea_gl_loc/?bUdKddb&v=75895&cl=9892859392

                  For years, remoteness has protected the Southern Ocean. But, after overfishing their home waters, high-tech industrial fishing boats are now travelling into this sacred ocean.

                  If we win this sanctuary, these mega vessels would be shut out of 1.34 Million km2! It’s unprecedented.

                  Our community already helped secure two massive marine protected areas and we know that just as wilderness parks rehabilitate life on land, the same happens in the ocean if our governments create marine reserves and enforce protection laws.

                  We can make this happen! After years of blocking, China recently joined the countries supporting Ross Sea protection. Now we just need one more -- let’s build the biggest campaign ever to urge Russia to back the world’s biggest sanctuary -- add your name and forward this email:

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/protect_the_ross_sea_gl_loc/?bUdKddb&v=75895&cl=9892859392

                  Time and again Avaazers say defending our oceans is a top priority. For our climate, for the survival of thousands of precious species. And for something deeper. The ocean covers two thirds of our planet and has a heartbeat that we feel. Antarctica is a shining example of countries working together for conservation and now we can extend that protection to the icy seas around it.

                  With hope and determination,

                  Nataliya, Alex, Christoph, Mélanie, Alice, Ricken, Lisa, Fatima and the whole Avaaz team

                  More Information:

                  Why protect the Ross Sea (Last Ocean)
                  http://www.lastocean.org/Marine-Protection/Last-Ocean-New-Zealand-__I.2506

                  UN Patron of the Oceans puts his body in ice to save a sea (UNEP)
                  http://www.unep.org/gwa/news/Ocean-campaigner-puts-his-body-in-ice-to-save-a-sea.asp#sthash.250QF8sS.PrcPb1pm.dpbs

                  Russia thwarts plan for Antarctic ocean sanctuary, China on board (Reuters)
                  http://www.reuters.com/article/us-environment-antarctic-park-idUSKCN0SO07120151030

                  Antarctica’s wildlife go hungry as krill disappear (Star2.com)
                  http://www.star2.com/living/animals/2016/04/26/antarcticas-wildlife-go-hungry-as-krill-disappear/

                  Scientists eavesdrop on blue whales in Southern Ocean from up to 1,000km away (ABC)
                  http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-11/scientists-eavesdrop-on-rare-whales-in-southern-ocean/6303542

                  Vladimir Putin is Making a Difference for Tigers in the World (Vice News)
                  https://news.vice.com/article/vladimir-putin-really-loves-tigers-and-its-actually-making-a-difference-in-the-world

Avaaz.org is a 42-million-person global campaign network that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook or Twitter.

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at www.avaaz.org/en/contact or call us at +1-888-922-8229 (US).