*[Enwl-eng] News from Survival

ENWL.Bellona enwl.bellona at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 16:41:41 MSD 2016

News from Survival

                              News update
                               View this email in your browser

                              Jungle Book: Tribes threatened with eviction as Disney movie opens

                              Many Baiga have reported brutal treatment at the hands of park guards, and poverty and suffering outside their ancestral lands
                              © Survival International, 2013

                              As the new Jungle Book movie is released, tribes across India are being illegally evicted from their lands because they’ve been turned into tiger reserves – while fee-paying tourists are welcomed in.

                              One of these places is the iconic Kanha Tiger Reserve, the inspiration for Rudyard Kipling’s original novel, from where hundreds of Baiga and Gond tribespeople were illegally evicted in 2014. And forced evictions are once again being threatened in the nearby Achanakmar reserve, despite fierce opposition, and in Amrabad, among others.

                              Kanha markets itself as the “inspiration” for The Jungle Book, and encourages large-scale tourism on the grounds that “nowhere can you see [tigers] as often.” But few visitors or viewers of the Disney film will be aware of the violence and intimidation inflicted on tribal peoples in the home of The Jungle Book in the name of tiger conservation.

                              The Forest Department claims that tribes accept “voluntary relocation”, but in reality they are coerced into “accepting” eviction with bribes and the threat of violence. Some are moved to government resettlement camps, but others are simply pushed out and forced to live in abject poverty on the edges of their territory.

                              Following the Kanha forced evictions in 2014, one Baiga man said: “We were one of the last families to resist. But the people from the reserve forced us to leave. They told us they’d take care of us for three years, but they didn’t do a thing. Even when my brother was killed, no one came to help us.”

                              Another Baiga tribesperson said: “We are lost – wandering in search of land. Here there is only sadness. We need the jungle.”

                              Baiga are barred from returning to their home after brutal evictions
                              © Survival
                              The big conservation organizations are guilty of supporting this. They never speak out against evictions. But many Indian tribes actually revere the tiger, and have lived peacefully alongside them for generations. There is no evidence that evictions protect tigers; in fact they’re more likely to harm them by alienating local people from conservation efforts.

                              Tribal peoples are the best conservationists and guardians of the natural world. They should be at the forefront of tiger conservation, but instead, they are being excluded. There is even evidence of more tigers living in areas where the people have not been thrown out.

                              Survival’s director Stephen Corry said: “We hope that this film helps bring some attention to the suffering currently being inflicted on tribal people across India in the name of tiger conservation. When India’s tiger population crashed in the last century it had nothing to do with tribes. It happened thanks to rapid industrialization and the wholesale slaughter carried out by colonial hunters and Indian elites. Yet all over India, tribes are paying the price for this: They’re kicked off their ancestral land to be replaced by tourists in their thousands.”

                              Read this online: http://www.survivalinternational.org/news/11199

                                  Share

                                  Tweet

                              Survival International refuses government money so we cannot be silenced by those guilty of violating tribal peoples' rights. This means we depend on you to fund our urgent work. Monthly giving is the most effective way to support us in helping tribes defend their lives, protect their lands, and determine their own futures.

                              This is a news update from Survival International with a frequency of 2-3 times per week.
                              To receive fewer emails: Update your email preferences

                              .

                              Survival International USA
                              466 Green Street, Suite 301,
                              San Francisco, CA 94133
                              United States
                              Survival International
                              6 Charterhouse Buildings
                              London EC1M 7ET
                              United Kingdom

                              © Survival International  |  A 501(c)3 registered nonprofit  |  Registered charity no. 267444