*[Enwl-eng] Antibiotics

ENWL.Bellona enwl.bellona at gmail.com
Mon May 11 01:47:33 MSD 2015

Dear friends,

Cruel factory farms are pumping healthy animals full of antibiotics so that
they can produce more meat, faster and cheaper. This insane cruelty is also
creating drug-resistant superbugs that can kill us!

Several European countries have already drastically cut use of antibiotics,
and now EU ministers are negotiating laws to do so across the continent.

Reducing cruelty to animals while saving human lives is such a no-brainer
that even McDonald’s said it'll stop selling chicken reared with some
antibiotics in the US. But the farm and pharma lobby is out in full force to
stop the new EU laws.

Ministers from across the EU meet tomorrow, and many have yet to make up
their minds. Let’s build a million-strong call to outlaw the cruel and
deadly abuse of antibiotics in factory farms, and deliver it to each of
them. Once we win in Europe, we’ll take this around the world. Sign now,
then share with everyone:

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/antibiotics_factory_farms_nonuk/?bUSymfb&v=58059

The World Health Organisation has issued stark warnings that superbugs may
make antibiotics useless in combating infectious diseases like tuberculosis
or pneumonia. Much of modern medicine depends on antibiotics, including
cancer treatments, and surgery and a major report estimates that 10 million
more people will die per year by 2050 if we don't save antibiotics.

Constant low doses of antibiotics breed superbugs. And though human misuse
also contributes to this growing resistance, little is being done to reduce
the massive amount of antibiotics given to livestock -- two thirds of the
volume of antibiotics in the EU and US!

Denmark, Sweden, Norway and the Netherlands have shown it’s possible to
produce meat with far less antibiotics, but with meat and bugs travelling
across borders, we need to bring other countries on board.

Many would like to shut down dangerous factory farms once and for all. These
new EU laws will be a massive step towards improving animal welfare, and
improving human health. But experts say the Ministers aren't feeling any
public pressure to act -- we can change that right now.

Sign the petition and spread the word -- once we reach one million signers,
Avaaz will run opinion polls, and work with champion countries to bring our
petition right into the room before the EU votes:

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/antibiotics_factory_farms_nonuk/?bUSymfb&v=58059

Millions of Avaaz members have helped protect whales, factory farm chicks,
and other animals. Now let’s come together again to protect the cornerstone
of modern medicine and win this for animals and for all of us.

With hope,

Alex, Allison, Laila, Alice, Antonia, Alaphia, Ricken and the rest of the
Avaaz team

MORE INFORMATION

Food, farming and antibiotics: a health challenge for business (The
Guardian)
http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/food-farming-antibiotics-health-challenge-business

How Cheap Meat Practices Beef Up Superbugs Like MRSA (ABC News)
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/moms-doctors-aim-mrsa-superbugs/story?id=16352562

Why antibiotic resistance must be tackled at the farm, too (EurActiv)
http://www.euractiv.com/sections/health-consumers/why-antibiotic-resistance-must-be-tackled-farm-too...

Antibiotic resistance now 'global threat', WHO warns (BBC)
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-27204988

KFC faces pressure after McDonald's says no antibiotics in chicken (Reuters)
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/12/us-usa-antibiotics-yum-insight-idUSKBN0M80B720150312

Antibiotics - Antimicrobial Resistance Briefing (CIWF)
http://www.ciwf.org.uk/research/human-health/antibiotics-briefing-antimicrobial-resistance/
Avaaz.org is a 41-million-person global campaign network that works to
ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global
decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz
members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18
countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of
Avaaz's biggest campaigns here:
http://www.avaaz.org/en/highlights.php/?footer"> or follow us on facebook
here: http://www.facebook.com/Avaaz or twitter here:
http://twitter.com/AvaazThis message was sent to enwle at lew.spb.org. To
change your email address, language, or other information, contact us here:
http://www.avaaz.org/en/contact/?footerWant to leave this list? Send a